TYPO3 MULTISHOP

Mother Rosa Chapel (Werner Chapel)

Mother Rosa Chapel. Photo: Werner Klockner

Close to the town wall on the river side of the town, the citizens of Oberwesel built the Holy Ghost Hospital and adjoining church sometime around 1300, as a civic foundation. Due to the number of buildings which have since been erected around the site, it is now impossible to ascertain how big the hospital and church originally were. Since the 14th century, numerous buildings have been erected on the site for the sick and infirm. Today, the Loreley Clinic and a retirement home can be found there.

When the town was destroyed in 1689 by Louis XIV’s troupes during the Palatinate War of Succession, the hospital and church were also destroyed. Around 1700, only the choir was rebuilt as a chapel. In accordance with the style of the time, it was given a baroque cupola. The choir of the chapel is set onto the town wall, and has been a popular romantic motif for painters ever since.

Nobody knows for sure when the chapel - which is, like the hospital, under the patronage of the Holy Ghost - was first called “Werner Chapel”. Werner was never elevated to sainthood by the church. 

The name “Werner Chapel” brings back memories of a dark period in the history of the town, in 1287, when the Jews in the town were heavily persecuted.