TYPO3 MULTISHOP

Schönburg Castle

Photo: Werner Klockner

Schönburg Castle
Schönburg Castle has an exciting history. Set on elevated, wooded ground, it is first mentioned in records dating from 1149. The Schönburg family extended the castle, adding extensive living quarters. In 1689, the lordly residence was destroyed by the troupes of Louis XIV. In 1885, a German-American banker named Rhinelander visited the Rhine valley. Searching for the romantic past, he was attracted by the ruin, and decided to restore the castle to its former glory in accordance with its old plans. Schönburg Castle has been the property of the town of Oberwesel since 1950. It now houses an international youth hostel and the “Burghotel” (castle hotel) with the "Restaurant auf Schönburg". Here, hotel guests can spend the night in the atmospheric charm of the Barbarossa room, Princess room or Chapel room. Gourmet delights from the kitchens and wine cellars are served in knightly rooms and in mediaeval costume.